USB to Wi-Fi adapters allow a Wi-Fi connection (e.g. local wireless router, or mobile hotspot) to be used for streaming to Sputnik as part of a bonded connection.
The same limitations regarding Captive Portals that may be present on the wireless network also apply to this type of connection; please see this article for more details.
These adapters are only supported on the following products:
- Bond II
- Bond Pro
The following adapters are supported:
- USB-N53 Dual-Band Wireless-N300 USB Adapter : This product is labeled as the USB-N53, uses a USB 2.0 connection, and has an FCC ID of MSQ-USBN53. The USB VID is 0B05, and the USB PID is 179D.
- NOTE: the newer USB-N53 B1 variant is NOT supported, it uses a different Wi-Fi chipset. This product is labeled as the USB-N53 B1, uses a USB 3.0 connection and has an FCC ID MSQ-USBN53_B1. The USB VID is 0B05, the USB PID is 180B. Packaging may appear similar to this link.
- Linksys by Cisco: High Performance Wireless N Adapter (AE1000)
- adapters in italics have not been directly tested by Teradek in house, and were reported as working by customers
- other USB to Wi-Fi adapters using a RaLink chipset may work, but have not been tested by Teradek
- if you've verified an adapter as working that's not on this list, please email email@example.com with information on the manufacturer and specific model and part number so that it may be added to this list
- In the Configuration section for the USB port where you will use the USB to Wi-Fi adapter, change the drop-down selection from Auto to Custom, then click Edit to open the pop-up configuration dialog
- Change the Mode to Wireless and options shown in the image further below will appear
- Enter the wireless network name in the ESSID field
- Select the wireless security protocol in the Security Mode drop down list. The most common option is WPA (aka "WPA Personal" or "WPA2 Personal") which allows you to connect to both WPA and WPA2 networks using a password or Pre-Shared Key (PSK)
- The Authentication field is only used when the WEP security protocol is selected, and will not be shown for the WPA and WPA Enterprise options
- The Username and Password fields are only used when the WPA Enterprise security protocol is selected, and will not be shown for the WEP and WPA options