Last updated: December 17th, 2020
In addition to configuring the API integration to allow access to a Group, Facebook has an additional requirement to allow streaming to a Group using their API.
Facebook requires that an Admin of the Group add the respective "App" (in Facebook's terminology) to allow access from a Teradek hardware encoder, cloud service or iOS / iPadOS app.
If this separate Facebook App is not added to the Group you will receive an error when trying to stream to the Group.
The following are the list of Teradek Apps that can be added to a Facebook Group:
- Teradek app: used for hardware encoders streaming directly to Facebook including the 600 and 700 series Cube, Bond, Slice, and T-RAX HEVC encoder series, Prism, and the VidiU Pro and VidiU Go series
- Teradek Airmix app: used by the Airmix app as well as the Live:Air Action app
- Teradek Airmix Solo app : used only by the Airmix Solo (formerly Live:Air Solo) app for iOS
- Teradek Core app: required when the stream is being sent from any Core-compatible device or app through the Core cloud service
- Teradek Sharelink app : required when the stream is being sent from any Sharelink-compatible device or app through the Sharelink cloud service
NOTE: if you are only streaming through Core or Sharelink and are not streaming directly from the device, then you only need to add the Core or Sharelink app to the Group. It is not necessary to add the Teradek / Airmix / Airmix Solo app when you are using hardware encoders or iOS apps to stream through Core or Sharelink.
Adding an app to a Group to allow streaming with the API integration
In addition to the guide below, Facebook maintains information on how to add an app to a Group at this link.
NOTE: Adding an App to a Group must be done from a computer / desktop version of a web browser; it cannot be added using the Facebook app for iOS or Android.
Step 1. Log into the Facebook account with Admin access on the desired Group.
Step 2. From the News Feed, select Groups and then choose the Group to which you wish to stream.
Step 3. Select Settings, then scroll down and select the pencil icon next to Apps, then select Add Apps.
Step 4. In the search box type Teradek to bring up a list of the (5) possible apps:
NOTE: If you already have a Teradek app added to the Group it will not appear in the search, only apps which are not present on the Group will be displayed.
Step 5. Select the app based on your workflow, then confirm that you wish to have the app added to the Group.
Step 6. If not already done, perform the API configuration process with your Facebook account.