New Core Pricing Plan FAQ
- Why did you change the pricing plan again? Wasn't it recently changed?
It's true, we did change our pricing earlier this year, but after a lot of feedback from our users we decided that the best way forward was to simplify the entire process and make it more affordable and accessible. That's why we chose to move to an on-demand model where you only pay for what you use. We hope to continue simplifying the pricing as we develop the platform.
- How is this different from the old plans?
The old plans required a fixed monthly fee, even if you didn't use Core, and it forced you into tiers, each with their own access to different features. The new plan eliminates tiers, charges you for only the data or servers you use, and offers access to all of our features both available now and in the future.
Normal users do not need to worry about the dedicated server offerings since they are geared more for advanced workflows. Multi-platform streaming, bonding support (for VidiU Go, Bond, Link Pro, etc..) and recording are all included in the free On-Demand server.
- What if I don't want to change plans?
Unfortunately, that is not an option. Every user will be migrated to this new plan at the expiration of their current monthly or annual plan.
- What’s the difference between the Cloud-Hosted and Self-Hosted servers? Do I need one?
When you connect your device to Core, you can begin streaming right away and need not worry about special servers. For more advanced users with special requirements, dedicated Cloud- and Self-hosted servers provide several unique features.
Connecting to Core for the first time: All Core users, whether they have purchased a dedicated server or not, are able to:
- Stream to multiple destinations simultaneously via RTMP, SRT, an MPEG-TS
- Record streams in the cloud
- Remotely configure Teradek codecs
- Operate bonding devices (Bond, VidiU Go, Link Pro, etc..)
--For optional added functionality--
Cloud-Hosted: Suitable for users with a fleet of codecs or advanced IP video routing workflows, dedicated Cloud-Hosted servers run full time on Core and offer specialized features. There are two types of Cloud-Hosted servers:
- Bonding Server: This server is billed at $75 / month and offers:
- Static IP addresses and port management
- MPEG-TS server (for MPEG-TS pull decoding)
- Custom worldwide ingest and end points (one ingest / end point per instance)
- Supports up to 5 Teradek devices simultaneously per instance
- Streaming Server: This server is billed at $75 / month and offers:
- Fallback Switcher (redundant streaming)
- 3rd party encoder ingest (via RTMP, SRT, or MPEG-TS)
*A single Streaming Server allows the use of a single Fallback Switcher*
Self-Hosted: If you prefer to manage your own Teradek Bonding Server, you may install our software on your own server for $125 a month. Our software supports up to 10 devices per instance, making it perfect for large businesses and power users. The Self-Hosted server option offers all of the capabilities found on the Cloud-Hosted Bonding Server. Self-Hosted Streaming Servers with Fallback Switcher and generic ingest are not available at this time.
- Can I connect my VidiU Pro to Core?
Not yet, but we're working to provide an update for those devices sometime next year.
- Will I be charged if I add additional encoders, decoders, or Live:Air Action to Core?
Nope! This is one of the great features of the new pricing plan: you can add as many devices or connections as you like and you will only be charged for the data / servers used. See below for more details on what our streaming servers are capable of.
- Is there somewhere that I can estimate my monthly payments?
We can help you with that. Shoot us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What’s the difference between Inbound and Outbound data charges?
Inbound: All data streaming into the Core platform with or without a Cloud- or Self-Hosted server.
Outbound: All data streaming out of the Core platform, including streaming to online video platforms, decoders, and recording.
- What's the Hotspot charge?
This is only for Link Pro users. We have eliminated the $200 minimum per month so it is now just $5/GB.
- What options do I have for payment?
Fortunately, we have a number of different options for you.
On-Demand: This is the easiest and most flexible option. Simply connect your credit card to your Core account and we'll bill you for your usage at the end of every month.
Credits: Just like topping up a SIM card, simply choose how much money you want to credit your account with. We will charge your credit card once to process the payment, but your card will not be stored on Core. When your credit begins to get low, simply add another credit to the account in any amount you wish.
Purchase Orders: For businesses, schools, and others with special requirements, we can accept POs for credits to a Core account. Get in touch with our Sales team to get this started: email@example.com
- If I put a credit on Core will it roll over to the next month?
Yes! With this new pricing plan, your credits will roll over indefinitely. There is no expiration!
- What if I want a refund on the credit I put on Core?
Unfortunately, there are no refunds for unused Core credits. If you have further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How do I check my data usage and expected monthly charge?
We've got a new visual interface on Core that gives you real-time updates on all of your data and server usage, in addition to the dollar amount that you will be charged at the end of your billing period.
- What about Sharelink?
At this time, Sharelink will remain the same.
- I already own a Sputnik server. Why do I have to pay monthly for it now?
For customers with legacy Teradek servers or their own custom Sputnik servers, we have implemented a new monthly licensing fee to prolong the life of your investment. This fee provides regular updates and improvements (including future new features), in addition to priority support, which was not offered to users with custom servers.
- I want to use your Bonding server without Core. How do I do that now?
Please contact email@example.com for more information. This is a special consideration for unique workflows and is not publicly available.
- The names for your server types are confusing.
We hear you loud and clear. We're doing our best to get Core to a point where you won't even need to worry about servers at all. For now, bear with us!
- Do I need a special server for bonding with Bond, VidiU Go, etc..?
Not anymore. Our de-muxing software (formerly part of our Sputnik server) is included with Core.
- How does the Transcoder work?
If you choose to use the Transcoder, an instance will be spun up when you begin streaming and shut down when you stop. For persistent Transcoder instances (i.e. runs full time), contact the sales team for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Transcoder is perfect for HEVC streamers (Bond Backpack, Cube 700, VidiU Go) where you need to convert the feed to H.264 prior to delivery. We’re working to make this solution easier to use so keep an eye out for updates.