There are two types of firmware for most Teradek products:
- the Main firmware which is loaded when the device boots up normally and streams to iPads with RTSP/RTP or sends MPEG Transport Stream or RTMP streams to remote servers, etc.
- the Recovery firmware which is loaded only when you specifically place the device into Recovery Mode
Recovery firmware should not be installed on the device while it is booted into Recovery Mode.
Instead, Recovery Mode is a limited operation mode that allows you to do a forced reload of the Main firmware.
NOTE: if the Recovery Mode procedure is performed while the device is running an older Recovery firmware, the Main firmware will need to be updated twice -- see the instructions in Step 5 below for additional information.
If you don't already have current Cube firmware on the computer system which will be used to perform the Recovery Mode procedure, download the most recent Main firmware from here:
The button to place the Cube Encoder or Decoder into Recovery Mode is externally accessible.
- For 1st generation Cubes, use the "Go Live" button on the rear of the unit.
- For 2nd generation Cubes, use the recessed button near the Ethernet and USB ports which is marked with circular arrows.
After locating the button, follow the instructions in these separate videos on how to perform the recovery:
While the device is in Recovery Mode, load the most recent Main firmware you downloaded from http://teradek.com/pages/downloads#cube (e.g. Cube firmware 7.3.13)
After Recovery Mode is complete and the device is booting normally, check the firmware version reported for the Recovery Mode firmware in the device's web page using the Info > About menu.
If it reports Recovery Mode firmware version 0 or 1, you MUST do the following steps:
- update your device with the Main firmware using the standard web page upgrade procedure a second time (even though it is already running that same version of the Main firmware) using the regular update procedure in the web page (System > Firmware Upgrade)
- Once the Main firmware upgrade is complete, update the device to the most current version of the Recovery Firmware that is listed on the download page for the device ( http://teradek.com/pages/downloads#cube ).
Updating the Recovery firmware to the most recent version, will prevent the need for the "double update" (step 5 above) if your device needs to perform the Recovery Mode procedure in the future.