The Beam TX or RX can perform a firmware update using a USB flash drive plugged directly into the USB port on the Beam.
Although the web-based firmware update through the Beam's Wi-Fi or wired Ethernet connections is the preferred method, a USB-based firmware update can be used if the Web UI update is not successful, or if the Beam doesn't fully boot or appear to power on.
NOTE 1: the firmware file image used to perform a USB-based update is separate from the regular / Web UI based firmware update files, and is changed with each specific firmware release. You cannot mix file types and update methods, i.e. cannot use a USB firmware update file with the Web UI update procedure, or a Web UI firmware update file with the USB update procedure.
NOTE 2: the USB upgrade will only succeed if the firmware version being loaded is a different version from that already loaded on the Beam. For example, if a Beam TX is currently running firmware version 1.2.0, you can load firmware version 1.1.0 or 1.0.2 on the Beam over USB.
Below are USB upgrade images for the last several Beam firmware releases:
- download link for version 1.0.2
- download link for version 1.1.0
- version 1.2.1
Instructions for use:
- Remove the version number from the file name. The file name must be
USBIMG_TeradekBeam.binfor Beam to recognize it.
- Copy the file to the root of a USB thumb drive; the flash drive must be formatted as FAT32
- Reboot Beam with the USB flash drive inserted. The file will be recognized and the update will start.
- "Upgrading" will be displayed on the front panel, and should be done after several minutes.
If the Beam is not able to be updated over either the Web UI or USB methods or doesn't power on, please contact Teradek Support.