Is there a public API for working with Teradek encoders or decoders?
Teradek does not have a publicly available API for our products.
However, a REST-based API is available for certain products.
Which products are supported or not supported?
API support was originally limited to Teradek's professional level encoders and decoders (Cube and higher, such as Slice and T-RAX).
As of February 2018, API support was expanded to include the VidiU Pro.
- 1st / 2nd generation Cube
- 1st generation Slice
- 1st generation and 2nd generation (700 series) T-RAX
- 600 series Cube / Bond / Slice
- 700 series Cube / Bond / Slice
- Vidiu Pro
- Vidiu Go
The following products use a different mechanism for control and will not work with the existing API documentation:
- Vidiu X
Once API documentation has been finalized this article will be updated.
The API is not available / not supported on the following products:
- Link (2017 model) and Link Pro
- VidiU (original), VidiU Mini
What does the API allow?
The API allows configuration and control functionality through REST-based HTTP calls.
In general, functions that can be accomplished through the web user interface of the Teradek encoder or decoder can also be accomplished via API commands. For example:
- a broadcast over RTMP could be started or stopped on an encoder
- stream configuration settings could be changed on an encoder or decoder
- the video encoding/decoding process could be restarted, or a unit could be rebooted
What is included with the API?
There is no source code, object code, or software component (proprietary or open source) included with API access.
API licensees will only receive text-based documentation on the REST-based API structure used on supported Teradek devices.
Is there development support for working with the API?
The API is provided as-is, and without any extra development support for troubleshooting applications or product integration issues.
How do I request access to the API?
The process for granting API access requires that Teradek gather some background information on your company and the intended use of the products.
If the use of the API is approved through the screening process, Teradek would provide a Software License Agreement (SLA) which must be completed prior to releasing to API information.
To start the process:
1. download the SLA Questionnaire attached to this article in ZIP format
2. complete the questionnaire with as much information as possible, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing this article and that you're requesting access to the API.