A 1st generation Bolt transmitter or receiver unit will only be detected by Bolt Manager if it has previously been used with Bolt Manager. This applies to the SDI or HDMI model TX, or to the SDI RX. It does not apply to the HDMI RX.
All variations of 2nd and 3rd generation Bolt transmitter or receiver units will be automatically detected by Bolt Manager.
Not sure which Bolt model you have? Refer to this article.
1st generation Bolt
After a 1st generation Bolt has had its Controller software updated by Bolt Manager, it should be automatically detected by Bolt Manager on future connections.
It is normal for it to not be detected by Bolt Manager under the following circumstances:
- The firmware has never been updated with Bolt Utility or Bolt Manager.
- The firmware has only been updated using the older Bolt Utility program.
- The Bolt has been serviced by Teradek and had the firmware updated using internal manufacturing tools.
To upgrade the Controller software and allow use with Bolt Manager:
1. Power off the Bolt TX or RX.
2. Hold in the Reset button with a paper clip, then power on the Bolt and release the Reset button after 1 second. Refer to the diagram in the 1st Gen Bolt Standard / Bolt Pro : Quick Start Guide. The Reset button is shown as item (C) on the TX; the Reset button is not shown for the SDI RX but is located on the same side as the USB connection.
- On the Bolt TX, you should see the Video LED blinking once per second. The Video LED is indicated by item (I) [Bolt Pro SDI TX] or item (H) [Bolt Standard SDI TX, or Bolt Pro / Standard HDMI TX].
- On the SDI Bolt RX, you should see the Ready LED blinking once per second. The Ready LED is indicated by item (M) [Bolt Pro] or item (L) [Bolt Standard].
3. Connect the Bolt to the computer running Bolt Manager; after several seconds, Bolt Manager should display "Connected to Bolt Bootloader" under the USB Connection Status line towards the top of the program window.
- If "Connected to Bolt Bootloader" is displayed, upgrade the Controller software on the Bolt. The current version of the Controller will be displayed as "Unknown" and a new version of "3.3" should be listed. After the Controller is updated, the Bolt will reboot itself and you can use Bolt Manager to upgrade the Radio firmware, change region settings, or perform the pairing process.
- If "Connected to Bolt Bootloader" is not displayed, you can repeat steps 1 and 2, or try using the older Bolt Utility program to work with the Bolt units. Refer to this article to determine which version of the Bolt Utility program should be used.
- If a 1st generation Bolt is unable to be accessed using Bolt Manager or Bolt Utility it would require examination by Teradek's technicians.
2nd / 3rd generation Bolt
All variations of 2nd and 3rd generation Bolt TX and RX units are automatically detected by Bolt Manager without any special procedures.
If a 2nd or 3rd generation Bolt is unable to be detected by Bolt Manager when connected over the proper USB port, this could indicate a hardware issue with the unit and it would require examination by Teradek's technicians.
Confirm that the correct USB port is being used as described in this article, then contact Teradek Support to arrange service.