The Teradek Core platform allows configuration and remote control of Teradek encoders, decoders, and Sputnik servers.
The streaming and recording options available for a device will vary depending on whether a device has been configured in Standard or Remote Management Only modes.
In the Standard mode:
- Teradek encoders and Decoders connect to a Sputnik server that is also controlled by your Core account
- Core issues device configuration and control commands to the encoders and decoders by way of that Sputnik server
- The video stream from an encoder is first sent to a Sputnik server, and the Sputnik server then sends video streams to one or more streaming destinations. Decoders can pull down video streams from that Sputnik server.
- All Core features are available in this mode -- recording/archiving in the cloud, streaming to multiple destinations from a single encoder, etc.
Below is an example showing the Standard mode selection on an encoder:
Remote Management Only
In the Remote Management Only mode:
- Teradek encoders and Decoders do not connect to a Sputnik server controlled by Core. Even if you have Sputnik servers present on your Core account, they will not interact with devices in this mode.
- Core issues device configuration and control commands directly to the encoders and decoders. These control commands use very little bandwidth since no video is being transferred.
- The video stream from an encoder is sent directly to the destination that is configured on the encoder (e.g. RTMP, MPEG Transport Stream). No video is transferred to a Sputnik server.
- No advanced Core features are available in this mode, including recording/archiving in the cloud, or streaming to one or multiple destinations that you've configured within the Core interface. These advanced features require the use of a Sputnik server, and the device must be configured in the Standard mode.
Below is an example showing the Remote Management Only mode selection on an encoder: