The Teradek Core platform allows configuration and remote control of Teradek encoders, decoders, and Sputnik servers.
However, no video streams are sent directly into or out of Core.
The path taken by video streams depends on the operation mode -- Standard, or Remote Management Only -- that is configured on the device.
In the Standard mode:
- Teradek encoders and Decoders connect to a Sputnik server that is also controlled by your Core account
- Core issues device configuration and control commands to the encoders and decoders by way of that Sputnik server
- The video stream from an encoder is first sent to a Sputnik server, and the Sputnik server then sends video streams to one or more streaming destinations. Decoders can pull down video streams from that Sputnik server.
- All Core features are available in this mode -- recording/archiving in the cloud, streaming to multiple destinations, etc.
Below is an example showing the Standard mode selection on an encoder:
Remote Management Only
In the Remote Management Only mode:
- Teradek encoders and Decoders do not connect to a Sputnik server controlled by Core. Even if you have Sputnik servers present on your Core account, they will not interact with devices in this mode.
- Core issues device configuration and control commands directly to the encoders and decoders. These control commands use very little bandwidth since no video is being transferred.
- The video stream from an encoder is sent directly to the destination that is configured on the encoder (e.g. RTMP, MPEG Transport Stream). No video is transferred to a Sputnik server.
- No advanced Core features are available in this mode such as recording/archiving in the cloud or streaming to multiple destinations, as those features require the use of a Sputnik server in the Standard mode.
Below is an example showing the Remote Management Only mode selection on an encoder: